Monday, June 23, 2008

Development

Development – growth, advancement toward a favorable outcome

You may be wondering how my preparation for Ethiopia is developing at this point. Honestly, I am too. Not because I don’t know what I am doing to prepare, but rather because I am not sure what exactly what the favorable outcome these things are helping me advance toward.

We (used in the broadest sense) often talk about development and new technologies as positive influences on our lives. Development becomes an advancement toward a favorable outcome when in fact development is not always positive, nor is it necessarily an improvement. Take for instance the development of a tumor. As the tumor develops it grows until it invades the bone taking away the good and replacing it with bad. I wonder if we sometimes don’t become tumors developing in others, ensuring our own livelihood, but destroying those around us. Once the bone tissue is destroyed we collapse our own support network and our own death is immanent.

When left to our own self interests growth can be rather negative. Development done to soon, in the wrong place, using the wrong methods may temporarily bring life but inevitably it simply destroys. Especially growth where there is no preparation or support structure in place. Perhaps that’s why they added the word sustainable with the word development. Sustainable implies that something will last indefinitely. Sustainable development is growth that looks toward the future generations and how considers how the current growth will impact others. Sustainable development poses a different set of questions than mere development. I want to practice sustainable development.

But the question I posed was not is development good or bad but how am I developing? I am growing in knowledge. I am learning more about Ethiopia, more about culture, more about poverty, more about disease, more about marketing, and more about development. I am developing my thought process on how to better organize my day to spend time in prayer and meditation. I am developing ideas on how to be a better writer. I am developing strategies on how to pack. I am developing theories on how to meet emotional needs while in Ethiopia. Basically, I am working on developing conscious thought processes on how to better develop myself. But is this sustainable development? Its not if I never put anything into action. Its not if I keep wondering if I am developing anything. I think perhaps I best stop trying to come up with the best way to develop and instead act. Act within a realm of accountability. Act by listening and learning. Act by spending time in prayer. And share the results of my actions. But most importantly act.

And yet, I keep getting that question asked of me: are you prepared for Ethiopia? What are you doing to prepare yourself physically, emotionally, mentally, spiritually? Keep asking me that question. I can only hide behind evasive answers for so long. Perhaps if its asked enough I will better understand that each little step is part of the preparation process and each person I meet along the way contributes to growth, hopefully toward a favorable outcome.

No comments: