Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Peace and Communication

Today begins a new school year at Anderson University. For all my friends attending classes this fall I hope you have a good semester. I began my class for the fall just over two weeks ago. Though only one class it is one of the harder ones I have ever taken. Learning Amharic is not easy. I sit in class three hours a day and listen, trying to understand what the teacher is telling us by watching his body motion and the objects he is using. Yesterday we began to speak. Not only saying what an object is but using complete sentences to give commands and to answer questions. I must say my Amharic skills leave much to be desired, but I am learning. The more I listen and the more I try to talk the better I will become. I am finding that in order to learn I have to mess up time and time again. I do not like being wrong, I would much rather stay quiet but if I do I will not learn. Think of a small child learning to talk – for the first year or so they are very difficult to understand. I am that small child right now.

As I learn Amharic and spend my afternoons in cultural orientation I am thinking about peace. How do my actions right now work towards peace and conflict transformation? I find they do at the most basic level. Though peace can be achieved without speaking the same language, peace is not possible without communication and understanding. For these first six weeks I may not resolve any conflicts or transform others but I am working towards peace. As I learn the language and the culture of those I will live and work among I begin to respect and value them for who they are and when I see they too are part of God's creation I begin to work towards peace.

No comments: